Flavorchem released its top trends that are driving premium coffee innovation, including an increase in everyday drinking occurrences, elevated at-home coffee experiences, and an increased interest in ready-to-drink cold brew and functional coffee.
Flavorchem (Downers Grove, IL) released its top trends that are driving premium coffee innovation, including an increase in everyday drinking occurrences, elevated at-home coffee experiences, and an increased interest in ready-to-drink cold brew and functional coffee. Interestingly, many of the trends happening in the premium coffee sector are crossing over from trends in food such as plant-based, sustainable, and mental wellness. These trends include:
- Cold Brew Heats Up: Statista projects cold brew coffee sales reach $1 billion by 2025, growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 24%. Cold brew’s fun flavors, health benefits, and range of formats positions it as the category growth leader.
- Everyday Wellness: Functional coffee is gaining popularity with consumers due to its health-boosting ingredients. Mintel says 30% of coffee drinkers are interested in purchasing coffee with added functional benefits such as immune and cognitive support, as well as added ingredients such as protein and probiotics.
- Sustainable Claims: 49% of all 2021 global coffee launches carried an environmental or ethical claim. Sustainability is an expectation from customers. They want to know brands are investing in sustainable business practices: fair trade, humanitarian rights, upcycling, and eco-efficient packaging such as compostable cups and filters.
- Plant-Based Innovation: While the plant-based space has been evolving for a while now, the ever-evolving marketplace, landscape, and changing needs of consumers has set coffee brands up for opportunities in product innovation with macadamia, oat, and plant-protein milk and creamers.
- Traveling through Taste: Coffee brands are showcasing coffee beans from Indonesia, Ethiopia, Guatemala, and Costa Rica along with global flavors matcha, horchata, and chai.
This article firstly appeared here, and it was syndicated on our website on the Cold Brew Coffee section.